- — mosquito borne Flaviviral encephalitis.
- — Pigs and heron like birds are main amplifiers.
- — leading cause of acute meningoencephalitis affecting children and adults in the world.
- — JE is endemic to Indian subcontinent, particularly in the NE state of Assam
- — Epidemics occur in the summer rainy season which favor breeding of mosquitoes.
- — First recognized in India in 1955, Epidemics occur every year in several Indian states since the first in WB(1973).
- — Lesions of JE are most commonly seen in the thalami and substantia nigra,
- — Basal ganglia, cerebral cortex, hippocampi, midbrain, pons, medulla and cerebellum lesions are also seen.
- — Lesions hyperintense on T2 and FL and iso to hypo on T1 with local or generalized brain swelling.
- — No enhancement.
- — Hemorrhagic change has been reported from India.
- — MRI is the investigation of choice with reported sensitivity of 89-100% compared to CT (38-55%) .
- — DWI has been reported to help in early diagnosis and in assessing temporal evolution of lesions
- — Was helpful in making an early diagnosis in JE showing additional lesions
abnormal mri brain Japanese encephalitis.
abnormal mri brain Japanese encephalitis
4/ 5Oleh Habifa